Home Asia Indonesian Military Denies Role in Papua Church Bombing as Calls Mount for...

Indonesian Military Denies Role in Papua Church Bombing as Calls Mount for Transparent Investigation

0
72
Coat of arms of Papua stamp (Public domain wikimedia)
Coat of arms of Papua stamp (Public domain wikimedia)

TNI denies involvement in Papua church bombing as Catholic youth demand probe into attack that injured four worshippers in Intan Jaya.

Newsroom (20/05/2026 Gaudium PressThe Indonesian military (TNI) has firmly denied allegations of involvement in a bombing that injured four worshippers at a Catholic church in Central Papua, as community leaders and Catholic youth groups call for a transparent and thorough investigation into the attack.

The explosion occurred on May 17 in the courtyard of St. Paul Nabuni Catholic Church in Mbamogo village, located in Intan Jaya district. The incident left four parishioners — Petrus Pogau, Robert Nabelau, Pius Pogau, and Piter Nabelau — with serious injuries, sending shockwaves through Catholic communities in the region.

In response to public speculation, Wirya Arthadiguna, spokesperson for TNI Habema Operation Command, rejected claims circulating on social media that suggested military involvement. Speaking to reporters on May 19, Arthadiguna said such accusations were unfounded.

“We regret the narratives on social media that immediately accuse the TNI as the perpetrators. We firmly state that the TNI is not the perpetrator of the bombing,” he said.

Arthadiguna emphasized that evidence collected at the scene does not link the military to the attack. According to him, grenade fragments found near the blast site are inconsistent with standard TNI equipment. He also dismissed suggestions that drones had been used in the assault.

“The TNI does not use armed drones to attack civilians, especially in places of worship. The TNI always prioritizes a humanist security approach and protects the people of Papua,” he said.

He urged the public to refrain from spreading unverified information, warning that such narratives could inflame tensions.

“This incident may well be a provocation by parties seeking to divide TNI and the Papuan people,” Arthadiguna added.

Despite denying involvement, the military said it remains actively engaged in maintaining security in the region. Arthadiguna noted that TNI personnel are continuing patrols to prevent further violence and have coordinated with church leaders to assist victims. He also promised that the military would provide transparent updates based on verified facts as the situation develops.

The bombing has intensified concerns among Catholic communities in Central Papua, particularly those affiliated with the Diocese of Timika, under which the targeted church falls.

Tino Mote, chairman of Catholic Youth in Central Papua, described the attack as “a brutal act of terror by irresponsible individuals” and called for immediate intervention from national authorities. He urged President Prabowo Subianto, the TNI commander, and the national police chief to ensure a comprehensive and transparent investigation.

“We demand that this case be uncovered clearly so it does not create confusion among Catholics,” Mote said.

Mote also called on lawmakers to visit Intan Jaya firsthand to assess the situation and engage directly with victims and local communities.

“They must see the victims and understand the motive behind the bombing,” he said, adding that escalating violence in the Meepago region requires urgent and focused attention.

Local law enforcement authorities have acknowledged the incident but say the investigation is still in its early stages. Papua Tengah Police Chief Jermias Rontini confirmed that preliminary information has been received but that critical details have yet to be established.

“We do not yet have the full details, so we ask for time,” Rontini said.

According to Rontini, investigators are working to determine key aspects of the attack, including the type of explosive device used, the precise location of the blast, the sequence of events, and the identities of those responsible. Authorities are also examining claims circulating publicly, including allegations of drone involvement and the reported presence of grenade fragments at the site.

The church bombing followed a series of security incidents in Papua, including reports of drone-related attacks in recent months. The most recent such incident prior to the church attack was reported on March 16 at the Central Secretariat of the West Papua National Committee.

As investigators work to uncover the truth behind the Intan Jaya bombing, the attack has underscored growing security concerns in the region. Community leaders are increasingly urging national authorities to act decisively, not only to identify those responsible but also to restore confidence among civilians, particularly in sensitive locations such as places of worship.

For now, uncertainty persists, with conflicting narratives and unanswered questions continuing to fuel anxiety among residents. The coming days are likely to be critical in determining both accountability and the broader implications for stability in Central Papua.

  • Raju Hasmukh with files form UCA News

Related Images: